Thursday, March 10

curiosity and a cat

So there we were, walking through the mall on the afternoon of Sunday last when I saw this on the fragrance counter of one of the fancier mall stores.

Curiousity seems to be the primary marketing point that is driving this advertisement (it couldn't be pure singing ability) and is rather indicative of our present culture as a whole. Being the proud uh. . .tolerant owner of an animal of the feline persuasion, I believe I have some first-hand knowledge of curiosity. I witness it every day. Now, I'm sure we all know what curiosity did to the proverbial cat. Why, then, are we so sure that we can escape the effects of such overwhelming inquisitiveness? We as people must believe that we are immune to the negative side of curiosity because we are constantly doing things (more appropriately stated: we are constantly justifying ourselves) all in the name of curiosity?

Why past experimentation with drugs? Curiosity! Why participate in underage drinking? Curiosity? Why be so free and careless with sexuality? Curiosity! etc. . .etc. . .etc. . .ad nauseum. And now we're combining the morality of Britney with the curiosity of our current society - this can only turn out ugly. Teens are being driven to explore various things in the name of curiosity (as Abercrombie and the like would have us believe is good).

During my reflection, though, it has come to my attention that there is a very clear and obvious reason why curiosity has not killed my cat (at least, not yet). You see, his curiosity is driven by his fascination with the world - and perhaps with its Creator - and his unceasing drive to see and know more and more and more and more. And one could easily make the case that this is the same push toward all of our human experimentation (although unlikely). But I see that my cat lives another day to feed his curiosity because of the limits I have set before him. He is not allowed to do certain things lest he find himself in deep trouble. Just like a child he has learned his boundaries through both discipline and painful discovery. Increasingly he listens to those in charge over him and finds life more enjoyable and free. . .

Until we as humans can listen and adhere to the boundaries set forth by our Master, I am afraid we will do no better than that proverbial nosy feline who can discover no more.

No comments: