Monday, August 15

let all creation cry. . .or something

(Note: I don't think this is quite what Stopford had in mind)


All throughout my daily errands I found myself to be plagued by whiny children. From doctors offices to department stores, I could not escape the scene of little children pushing their parents - and everyone else - to the brink. And while I sat in the waiting room it occurred to me that this kid wasn't even trying. I mean, come on!!! If you're going to have a fit, you really need to have a fit! The little shot-gun bursts don't really convince anyone and make your case look quite pathetic. At least the parents weren't fooled either.

But I suppose this is why it is called a 'fit.' Otherwise it is a 'cry.' And as we grow older we tend to view the difference between the two as a superficial want and a sign of a true need. Or perhaps we figure that whining is just some annoying technique (which it is) to achieve some shallow self-gratification and reserve the act of crying out for deeply desired passion and need. Yet from the obtuse perspective of a child there might not be that great of a difference between the two (and if whining works, go with it).

And so we cry out to God. Or do we whine?

Or have we yet grown enough to see through his eyes and know the difference?


more on God's perspective

No comments: