Monday, December 6

to give up, I'd be a fool

Just over two years ago I went to Romania. My wife was going to help promote a special concert for Romanian youth. I was going along just for the ride. Since American Christian music is such a big hit over there right now, a popular Christian artist went and did a show as part of this special youth-oriented outreach.

The trip was (overall) amazing. There was only one problem: the coordinator. As far as running a missions trip, he wasn't very good, often times getting in the way of those trying to accomplish their respective tasks. And my wife was never really able to do everything she was brought over to do. There was a lot of confusion and aggravation, all of which culminated in the fact that this guy was totallly awe-struck in the presence of the Christian artist. Might as well throw everything else out the window. On top of all of this the logistics of setting up the arena for the concert were running very late and having a difficult time coming together. I figured that the whole thing was going to be a total wash. So I thought.

During the opening act, I was making my way around the arena in order to take pictures of the event. As I was cutting behind a row of bleachers, the band began to play You Are My All in All. I stopped and realized that I was all alone, underneath an overflow crowd of worshippers. I looked to my right and saw that I was next to a wall of glass, looking out on the city-lit nightscape of a land that only dreamed of such religious outpouring a few short years ago.

The song: "...seeking you as a precious jewel...Lord, to give up, I'd be a fool...you are my all in all"

Everyone was singing as loud as they could! I stood motionless as tears ran down my face. In the midst of all we had been struggling with, I knew in that moment that God was bigger than all of it. His presence made everything else so meaningless in comparison. All of our tears, our hurts, our triumphs, our tragedies, our joys, our sorrows...our lives are incomparable to him.

Indeed, to give up...

...I'd be a fool

1 comment:

Mark Schreiber said...

I don't know you, but I am encouraged by your thoughts. I think this blog will have to be added to my must reads of daily blogs and I'm glad that you now have the time... obviously sorry about the circumstances.

And yes... to give up you'd be a fool. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and inspriring even people that don't know you to keep the faith and run the race on that crazy path that God has marked out for us.