Sunday, January 16

no take-backs

'Praying for particular things,' said I, 'always seems to me like advising God how to run the world. Wouldn't it be wiser to assume that He knows best?' 'On the same principle,' said he, 'I suppose you never ask a man next to you to pass the salt, because God knows best whether you ought to have salt or not. And I suppose you never take and umbrella, because God knows best whether you ought to be wet or dry.' 'That's quite different,' I protested. 'I don't see why,' said he. 'The odd thing is that He should let us influence the course of events at all. But since He lets us do it in one way I don't see why He shouldn't let us do it in the other.' *

C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1970), 217.


I suppose this entails moral responsibility for our actions: the notion that what we say and do matters and becomes the basis by which we are held accountable for this life.

In such a world where our decisions mean so much and we are given such an important role in accomplishing the will of God, are there really any "insignificant" choices? There probably are. . .but which ones are which?

1 comment:

H. West said...

I wanted to post a comment on Monday's blog, but it wouldn't let me, so this will have to do (that means refer to monday). Anyway, I have been watching your journey since you started blogging and it has been interesting becuase it is very similar to my own. I am only a high school student and no one has fired or excommunicated me, but I attend the church I do becuase I feel that is where God has his calling on my life and not because I can agree with everything these people believe. I believe God has called me there as a difference maker, and sometimes the church is the hardest place to do that. in the past few days especially, I have been questioning where I am supposed to be in relation to this group of people and today your blog just hit where I am at. I'm not sure how to describe what your blog does for my spirit... i want to say its encouraging or inspiring, but i'm not sure. I think it is just good to know that i am not alone and that just becuase something is labeled church and people claim to be searching after God doesn't make them right and truthful. So, its been nice journeying with you, across cyber-space, as they say. Thanks for putting it out there for little girls like me to connect with.

Heidi