Tuesday, July 19

chutes and ladders

Well, I'm not one to be overly critical about religious gatherings. Those close to me know that I would never be like that. This being said I would also like to say that the heart of this particular post came not from me, but from a fellow observer in a recent gathering. I just came back from a church conference meeting in which the speaker was incredible but not as much can be said for the rest. . .aaahhh, conference.

At the end of the speakers session, so moved was the worship leader (and various others) that they extended the final song and invited the many pastors and elders and lay leaders to come forward in order to rededicate their lives and ministries in such a way as was relevant to the evening message. This went on for a bit and there was the usual late-inning chastize, ". . .this is the final verse, now there are so many of you who know that you ought to be here. . ." And there was a number of pastors who came forward.

And it probably was a revitalizing time. And it was probably very meaningful. And. . .

Then the meeting ended.

And everyone went about their business. And the yip-yap level increased dramatically. And. . .

This is when the man next to me (who is from my church) leaned over and captured this sentiment to overly manufactured mountatintops when he said, "Now this should be one of those times when everyone leaves silently and thinks about the message. I mean, everybody here seemed real moved by the Spirit but now they are acting as though they've already forgotten it!"

Then I'm pretty sure that God applauded.

No comments: